Wednesday, May 18, 2011

hump day afternoon dee-light

And it's Wednesday again (I know right?!)

Last weekend I was looking through my limited CD collection that I brought with me when I moved to Melbourne. Most of it is "old music" - music from the 90's or early 00's. Feeling all ghetto, I wanted some old R'n'B. Not that new stuff they call R'n'B on the radio now. More electronic than melodic. I wanted some smooth tunes or fat bass lines, like old Usher, Boyz II Men, Bone Thugs & Harmony, heck 98 Degrees (do they count as R'n'B??)

I was ecstatic when I came across Usher's 2004 album Confessions in my CD collection. Who doesn't love singing along to Confessions, Burn (probably my favourite track on the album) and dancing along to Caught Up and of course, probably the most well-known song on the album - Yeah!

What I love about R'n'B from the 90's and 00's is that it is totally acceptable for middle class white or asian folk (actually anyone other than African Americans) to pretend to be all ghetto. It's ok to throw your hands up and go Yeah! and sing about shortys, boos, bootys, yell out rowl (yes, according to Ludacris, it is a word) and generally act like you probably never would normally. And can I just point out Taio Cruz, who likes to say his name in the beginning of almost every song on his album, you're not the first. Usher did it too. Way back when it was still fresh.

Happy hump day!

No comments:

Post a Comment