Monday, May 16, 2011

an honourable mention

The last time I took part in a singing Eisteddfod was when I was 12. I remember I competed in the Under 13s solo. I sang 'Doing What Comes Naturally' from Annie Got Your Gun. My singing teacher and I even choreographed a routine. I had so much fun but at the same time felt a lot of pressure. Tonight,, at the Boorondara Eisteddfod, it was no different. Ok so we didn't have any choreography to remember but I think everyone felt a lot of pressure. Singing in an adult choir, particularly in one where people like to sing for fun and are not used to being on stage can be quite challenging and of course, daunting. While I'm no pro to performing, I just remember that it's a bit of fun. Let's face it. We're not performing brain surgery. No one will die (maybe of embarrassment though) if we sing a few wrong notes. It's not a life or death situation. I don't mean to be dismissive, but I've performed enough to not get my knickers in a knot. Unfortunately I think for some, nerves got the better of them. We started off a bit shaky and off-key in Sign your Name but kicked arse in Drive my Car. Despite the shaky start, we did get an honourable mention at the end of the night. Winning.

I must say though that tonight, the competition was fierce. There was a great mix of all male, all female and of course, mixed choirs. The most enthralling, ethereal and magical performance for me was an all male group that performed Shenandoah - most possibly one of my favourite pieces of all time. The most unusual song performed was Beds are Burning by Midnight Oil. A classic but acapella style? Interesting. The coolest part of that song was the Asian beat boxer. Boo to the Chorister though that was also singing with her choir. I didn't know that was allowed! They tied for first place. And what do you know? A quick search on You Tube tells me the winning choir have loaded a video of them performing Beds are Burning last year.

 
And on that note, all choirs did really well and it was a fun night. Can't wait to do it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment