Saturday, June 4, 2011

breakfast @ bills

I’m very fortunate enough to have experienced breakfast at bills earlier this year, on a short trip to Sydney, courtesy of work. So when I found myself in Sydney again for work and had the opportunity to stay for the weekend, I knew I just had to take my sister to bills for breakfast. In her 4-5 years of living in Sydney, she has never been. I was gobsmacked. I had to rectify this. Stat.






































I remember how, on my first visit, I instantly fell in love with the place – the lovely clean lines of the interior, the large communal table, the bowls of fresh fruit, the magazines laid out by category, the somewhat open kitchen, the service, my pot of chai tea, the general buzz of breakfast. All this and I hadn’t even seen the menu yet.  

And what a menu! I find that at breakfast I am always faced with a dilemma - sweet or savoury? I am a lover of both. There's nothing better than soft fluffy eggs and crispy bacon, or a nice fat slab of toasted banana bread with berries and mascarpone cheese. Can you see my dilemma? Last time I was at bills, I chose sweet – the ricotta hotcakes with honeycomb butter. Drool. So I decided to do savoury this time, choosing the corn fritters with bacon and convinced my sister to try the hotcakes (it didn’t take much convincing!)

The corn fritters didn’t disappoint. I polished them off pretty quickly. And my sister loved the ricotta hotcakes, claiming this was the only time she would allow herself to smother her breakfast with butter.

I must say, everything about bills screams fresh, simple, homemade. I am in love. Oh if only there was bills in Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment